"The only stumbling block is fear of failure.
In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

COFFEE FORK BISCUITS

I was in for a surprise with this biscuit. So easy to make, and big on taste ! You could not find anywhere else!

I was clearing my bookcase and found this old edition of Her World Cookbook Volume 53 (Malaysia edition) - Baking Simplified by Rohani Jelani. This is a rare gem and boy am I glad I kept it all this while with me. I guess I was preoccupied with all my latest, pretty, glossy cookbooks that I had forgotten my old ones.

This is an adult biscuit, rich in coffee and nuts. It has a light cruchy texture to it, which strangely gives me a nostalgia feeling.... the kind of biscuits which are sold at old-fashioned bakeries.



Recipe adapted from Her World Cookbook Vol 53
by Rohani Jelani


Ingredients

1 round tsp instant coffee
1/2 Tbsp hot water
40g walnuts or hazelnuts (I used walnuts)
100g butter
80g fine granulated sugar (I used caster sugar)
150g plain flour


1) Dissolve the coffee in the hot water and set aside to cool. Finely chop the walnuts or hazelnuts.

2) Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the coffee. Fold in the nuts and flour.

3) With the aid of a teaspoon, scoop out small portions of the biscuits mixture and roll into small balls with floured fingers.

4) Arrange these neatly on lightly greased baking trays, allowing plenty of room in between for spreading.

5) Dip the prongs of a fork in flour, shake off the excess flour and flatten each biscuit with a criss-cross pattern.

6) Bake in an oven preheated to 190C for 12 to 16 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment