"The only stumbling block is fear of failure.
In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child

Monday, March 14, 2011

CHOCOLATE-BOTTOM BANANA SQUARES

I have a bunch of over-riped bananas and I needed a good recipe right away. It did not take me too long to google as I clearly knew what I wanted i.e. a combination of chocolate and bananas.

I found this recipe at Hearty Bakes and I agree that this cake is addictive. I used a round cake pan instead (I know it is about time that I bought a square cake pan), and I omitted the chocolate chips as I prefer the rich Valrhona cocoa powder as it is.



Recipe adapted from Hearty Bakes
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter - 113g (softened)
1 cup sugar (I reduced to 3/4 cup)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 medium ripe bananas (mashed)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Valrhona)
1 cup chocolate chips



1) In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

2) Drizzle in the eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas, beating thoroughly.

3) Sieve flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the creamed mixture in above step and mix it well.

4) Divide batter into half. Add cocoa powder to one portion of the batter. Spread that portion in the bottom of a greased 9" square tin.

5) Spread the remaining plain batter on top the cocoa batter, swirl gently with a knife and sprinkle top with chocolate chips.

6) Bake at 180C for about 30 minutes or test batter done with a toothpick. Cool and cut into squares to serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment