Pies is something that I hardly bake and yet love eating it but yet can't eat it often, simply because a good-rich pie is never a healthy option. However, baking your own pie from scratch is definitely healthier than the frozen ones, which gives me a good reason to indulge, ha!
What makes a good pie?
#1 The pastry. Soft and flaky with the clever addition of yogurt.
#2 The filling. Great short cut to a creamy yummy filling by adding a can of soup.
I may have found the best combination (yet).
adapted from Baking Mum
200 gm butter (I reduce to 180 gm)
250 gm plain flour
110 gm plain yoghurt (I reduce to 90 gm)
1 tsp sugar
1 egg yolk
A pinch of salt
1. Put all the ingredients into the mixing bowl except yoghurt, and mix to a crumble.
2. Add in yoghurt and mix to a dough.
3. Dough will be very soft so need to keep it refrigerated for at least 30 mins.
adapted from My Kitchen Snippets
2 cups of cooked chicken meat
2 carrots - cut into small cubes
2 stalk of celery - cut into small cubes
1 cup of green peas
1 potatoes - cut into cubes
1/2 onions - finely diced
1 cloves of garlic
1 can of low sodium cream of chicken or mushroom soup
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg - beaten
1. Heat up the pan and lightly brown the onion and garlic. Then add in the celery and carrots, saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add in cream of chicken or mushroom soup and add in about 2 cups of water. Mixed well and bring to boil and add in the potatoes. Continue to simmer until potatoes soften and add in the chicken and green peas.
3. Stir well, cook until sauce thickens. Check seasoning. Dish out and let it cool.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F. Prepare a pie dish. Roll out the pastry 1" larger than the pie dish.
5. Put in the filling and cover the top with another piece of roll out pastry and crimp the edges. Cut a few slits on top of the pastry for venting air.
6. Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
7. Let it cool down for 10-15 minutes before serving.